Procedure for Change in Name – in official gazette -
You will need to fill up a form which is available free of cost at the Government Press of your city.
You need to fill in the details as required – like your old name, new name, old signature, new signature and address.
No documents are required to be submitted along with the form.
Charges for change of name in the Maharashtra Government Gazette:
- Rs 120 per insertion (for two copies of the Gazette)
- For backward class applicants: Rs 60
- Charges for extra copy of the Gazette: Rs 12 per copy
Cash is accepted at the Government Press though you have option of paying through Cheque/DD.
Backward class applicants are required to submit a Xerox copy of caste certificate of old name as issued by the Collector of the District concerned.
Once the form is duly submitted, it normally takes a month for publication of advertisement in the Maharashtra Government Gazette. The Gazette copy is sent to the address given on the form.
Government Photozinco Press Premises and Book Depot,
5, Photozinco Press road, Photozinco Press premises,
1. You normally cannot change name in the old certificates which bear your old name. A copy of the gazette reflecting your name change can be handed over with the old certificate.
2. In case you changed your name using gazette and now want to revert to your old name, a gazette publication will be required.
3. The procedure for name change above is from what is practised in Maharashtra. Different regions may have certain additional requirements like affidavits, etc. Check with the government press for more information.
4. After name change, to change the name in passport, a copy of the gazette publication will be required. Check with the passport office for any additional documents to be submitted.
5. For error in the spelling of your name appearing in the certificates, gazette notification is not required.
6. For changes / correction in PAN card, please follow the instructions at https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/correction.html
DISCLAIMER: This procedure may vary from place to place. Kindly recheck the procedure of your place. This procedure is as applicable in Pune, Ahmednagar, etc.