Are you facing errors like Windows cannot open printer spool or restart spool or similar errors in your Vista and HP Laserjet printers?
Here are a few tricks which may help you solve your problem.
CAUTION – Following steps involve editing of registry and changing of system settings. It is advised you take a backup of all your data to be on safer side
1. Go to Run – Regedit – Computer – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3. Delete the HP laserjet entry there.
Now try adding HP Laserjet printer through control panel. It should work now.
If it still does not work, try the following steps –
2. Go to Control Panel – Uninstall a program – Turn Windows features on or off – print services – deselect Internet Printing Client and select LPD and LPR option. Click OK and restart your computer
3. Still if the problem persists, repeat step 2. Use your HP Laserjet 1010 driver cd to install drivers on your computer instead of letting Vista install the drivers.
Another method –
1) Open My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View and click on the option for
Show hidden files and folders
2) Now, uncheck the option for “hide extensions for known file types” and click OK
3) Click on Start, Search and in the left column choose All Files and Folders
4) In the “all or part of the filename” box type the following
5) Make sure the “look in” box has Drive C selected (or whichever drive windows is installed on)
6) Click on Search
7) If the “hpzimn12.dll” file is found, right-click on it and Delete it.
8) Reboot your computer and run the installation CD that came with your printer.
Hopefully this will solve your problem, if it doesnt proceed with the following instructions from Microsoft’s Knowledge Base about resolving this issue.
Whenever a computer system is upgraded from one OS to another, older driver files for devices may still be active in the system and cause problems. This was the case in this instance.