Windows 7 Beta
Microsoft Windows 7 is the next release of the Windows client operating system, built on the secure foundation of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008. Performance, reliability, security, and compatibility are core tenets of this release as we collect your feedback to meet our engineering goals of making Windows 7 the best-performing and most stable Windows operating system to date. New innovations in the product are designed to augment your ability as an IT professional to better provision and manage increasingly mobile PCs, protect data, and improve both end-user and personal productivity.
For a limited time, Microsoft is making this pre-release version of Windows 7 available to the first 2.5 million people who download. Ready to take a test drive? You can get one by trying the Windows 7 Beta. We think you’ll have the best experience if:
* You are willing to participate as an active beta tester and provide feedback to help us complete Windows 7.
* You have an extra computer available to dedicate to testing beta software.
* You can back up your PC, install and reinstall Windows, and reconfigure your home network connection.
* You’re comfortable troubleshooting your own PC problems. There’s no technical support available for the Beta.
* You understand how to burn an ISO file to a DVD using your computer’s DVD burner.
* You have a system recovery disc and know how to use it.
* You enjoy participating in an interactive community of beta testers, sharing experiences and feedback in real-time.
Microsoft isn’t providing technical support for the Beta and isn’t responsible for business-related downtime. Don’t install the Beta on your primary home or work computer. When the Beta expires on August 1, 2009, you’ll need to reinstall a released version of Windows to keep using your computer.
These are the Microsoft minimum hardware recommendations for systems that will be running the Windows 7 Beta. These recommendations are specific to the beta release and are subject to change:
* Processor: 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
* Memory: 1 GB of system memory
* Hard drive: 16 GB of available disk space
* Video card: Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128MB memory (in order to enable Aero theme)
* Drive: DVD-R/W drive
* Internet connection (to download the Beta and get updates)
Note: Some product features of Windows 7, such as the ability to watch and record live TV or navigation through the use of “touch”, may require advanced or additional hardware.
Microsoft requires users to login with their Windows Live ID and register prior to downloading Windows 7 Beta. The download link will redirect you to the Windows 7 registration and download page.